Carbon monoxide detectors given out to honor fallen student and save lives

5:56 PM, Feb 26, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Windsor High School graduate Lauren Johnson died two years ago of carbon monoxide poisoning. On Saturday morning, many of her former classmates went door-to-door offering free carbon monoxide detectors.

Any resident of Windsor or Severance is eligible for one of the detectors.

"The information we're handing out gives information about Lauren Johnson who died and just about symptoms to look for," said student Caitlin Tufts.

The man behind the operation is Don Johnson, Lauren Johnson's father.

"Our goal is to get one carbon monoxide detector in every home in our community," Johnson said.

Along with the students, he and his wife have been working hand-in-hand with the Windsor-Severance Fire Protection District.

"We just want to prevent needless deaths," Johnson said. "That's why we're out here and what we care about."

So far, the response to the program has been overwhelmingly positive with between 150 to 200 requests for detectors. In fact, the fire department said they'll probably be swamped over the next few days doing installations.

"It's so well received by the community," said Fire Marshal Mike Davis. "I'm really, really happy."

Johnson said that work is a small price to pay to honor Lauren's memory and to save more lives.

"She was a very strong young woman who wanted to make a difference in peoples' lives and she is making a difference in peoples' lives and that's what we want to see continuing to happen," Johnson said.

Lauren Johnson died in her apartment just off the University of Denver campus in January 2009.

All new residences or homes being sold are legally required to have a carbon monoxide detector on each floor.

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos